St Mary's Holy Assumption Russian Orthodox Church

HomeChurchParishAdministrationService ScheduleChurch TourNews & EventsMembershipDonationsVolunteerOur LegacyMemorialContact InformationDriving DirectionsHoly WaterDivine MusicAbout OrthodoxyResources
OUR CHURCH HISTORY

Founders

The founding mothers and fathers were typical, turn-of-the-century immigrants. They were basically poor, only a handful had more than a rudimentary education, few spoke English. They arrived, like others, with a fire in their souls, determined to "make it" in America for themselves and their families.

What made the founders of our church unique, though, were their independence and their foresight. Instead of appealing to Imperial Russia for funds, they opted to privately finance their dream of a church. Our founders incorporated, later affiliated it with the Russian Orthodox Church, and paid for the church in the next few years. This allowed St. Mary's to remain independent and free of control from the new USSR as well as any other claims to its holdings.

Chronology

1880 - first Russian immigrants begin to settle in Stamford
1907 - a "religious community" is organized in South End of Stamford
1909 - our parish is incorporated
1912 - first priest Rev. Heiromonk Nestor Nikolenko appointed by Archbishop Platon
1912 - our church records begin
1913 - a lot is purchased on So. Pacific Street for $600, church construction begins
1915 - church completed for $7,500 and dedicated by Bishop Alexander
1916 - the iconostasis is built with 27 icons from the Lavra at Kiev
1918 - the bell is purchased and placed in belfry
1950 - church is renovated
1963 - Golden Jubilee Celebration (50th anniversary)
1970 - a lot is purchased on Den Road for $175,000
1976 - groundbreaking for the new church
1977 - first liturgy in the new church and dedication by Bishop Dmitri
1988 - "burning of the mortgage", the church is now completely paid for
1996 - Father Vladimir Horoszczak becomes our pastor
2013 - our church will be celebrating its 100th anniversary!

1913 - THE BEGINNING

1977 - NEW CHURCH DEDICATION

 
 
1988 - OUR 75TH ANNIVERSARY

OUR PARISH

Slideshow

 

(24 images)


  Powered by Orthodox Web Solutions Home Back Top